Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Fearless Four

Traveling has been a serious passion of mine for years, but one that has been primarily a solo endeavour.  After all, many dream big, but the commitment required to actually plan, save and go is one that eludes a lot of people.  And so, I have usually embarked on adventures on my own.  It has been a tremendous gift - to meet others from all over the world and to experience places on my own terms.  Over the last few years though, it's become progressively more lonely.  Yes, I continue to meet great people, but that longing to live these adventures with people who matter to me has grown exponentially.

When I was accepted into this masters, two of my dearest girlfriends sat me down.  "We are coming to see you for your graduation, and we WILL be traveling together for three weeks.  Write this on your calendar, because it WILL happen."  And knowing these two women, that was a promise that would not be broken.

It wasn't.  Sure, the planned locations and the start date changed.  A boyfriend (who became a fiance on this same trip) was added to the mix.  But the four of us spent a few good weeks whirlwinding our way through Southern Italy and Spain before pairing off for different finales.  Frustrations, as always, emerge when crammed together for weeks on end in small locations, but they were small ones and easily dealt with.

And now, when I look across home tables, I see three people who hiked with me all across the Amalfi Coast, were "wrapped in the warm blanket of drunkenness in Rome", helped me perfect a sangria recipe in Sevilla, and ate tapas and gazpacho like it was going out of style.  This time, truly, was a tremendous gift.
Pizza in Napoli

Sorento Sunset



Buffalo Mozzarella Binging back at Inn Bufalito

Positano

Soccer playing boys in Napoli

Lemons the size of baby's head in Pompeii

Vesuvius view during a seafood dinner

Last night in Italy

My last true Italian pasta - in Rome

Gazpacho stop in Grenada





Tapas Crawl in Sevilla

Feasting in Grenada


Communing with bulls

Grenada's Spice Markets
Sherry Tasting





No comments:

Post a Comment