Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Ruby Tribute

Red is a colour rich in more than just hue. It denotes passion and fire. It's the colour of blood - the life force of our human bodies and a representation of sacrifice. The bonding of red blood in oath symbolizes fidelity and steadfastness, as it does in a cardinal's robes. A red rose stands for eternal love, a ruby is July's birthstone, and a 40th wedding anniversary is associated with ruby. Here is where this tribute begins.

On July 11th, my parents celebrated 40 years of marriage, incorporating all the above qualities and more in a relationship that inspires me. I have watched them walk through serious hardships with faith, humour and grace. They willingly sacrifice of themselves to bless each other and their family as a whole. They are best friends and lovers, but always authentic - there is definitely fire in their interactions, but tempered by deep-seated respect. They manifest love in all its facets. Mom and Dad, I am so grateful to bear witness to your 40 years of marriage. May I be so fortunate in my own life.

Being so far away made this a difficult landmark to celebrate properly and this is where the second tribute begins. Pied a Terre is a favourite French bistro of mine on Cambie St in Vancouver. Responding to a late phone call from Italy, they fit my parents in for dinner on their actual anniversary. From greeting them with champagne to celebrate, to treating them like royalty for a wonderful meal, my parents had an anniversary to remember. Pied a Terre, thank you for honoring my parents tangibly when I was unable to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment